1. You will spend most of your childhood dreaming about how badly you want to be a teenager. You will think that being sixteen is the best age you can be, that you’re almost free, that you will have nights full of sneaking out, partying, having fun. You will think high school will be like the movies, you’ll have two best friends that are more like siblings and amazing things will happen. When it doesn’t. So enjoy your childhood, enjoy every ounce of excitement on Christmas Eve, enjoy dressing up on Halloween, enjoy your mama always being there to kiss you when you fall. Enjoy life without worries. I wish I had, because it goes by too fast.
2. One day you will meet a boy, who says all the right things, tell you how beautiful you are, tells you that he can’t live without you. You’ll be fourteen, untouched, unloved, and you will believe it. You will think just because he touches your skin once will mean he will stay forever, when he’s just staying long enough to get in your bed. Don’t let him ruin you.
3. He will leave. He will leave and you will be fine without him. You think it’s the end of the world, you think you’re never going to love again. But you’re wrong sweetie, the world will go on turning, and life will go on living. You will soon stop crying, and your heart will stop aching. Before you know it the boy you couldn’t live without, will be the boy you can’t stand to see or hear about.
4. The first time you try alcohol, it probably won’t be because you really want to. It will be pushed in your face and finally you will take a sip and want to spit it out. You’ll realize this stuff isn’t that good at all, people just drink to forget the shit in life, to pretend they are the shit.
5. The person who’s your best friend now probably won’t be next year. People change like the season’s and most the time they become cold like a winter’s day. You will be back stabbed, you will be lied to, you will be hurt. You will lose the one person who helped you through a lot, but you will learn to that trust is sometimes made to be broken. The one who use to look at you and smile, will look right through you like you’re someone they’ve never met.
6. High School isn’t forever, even though a day there seems like it is. It’s going to go by fast, one day you’ll walk in a freshman, and walk out graduated. It will fill you up with stress, anxiety, and make you feel like you’re not good enough. There will be days you feel like you’ll never finish a book report, and nights you’ll stay up till 1 a.m. studying. Once you’re a senior it really starts to hit you, after this year you’re done. Real life will smack you in the face, and most the time we aren’t prepared for it. But it will be okay. You will be okay.
if you are
When that mailbox lights up, love.
It means someone has forgotten how
to forget me. It means someone has
remembered even. Thought of me. In some
small crevice of their mind. They took
the time to compose a carefully constructed
message, and even took the effort to hit
“Send.” I am so addicted to being
As though my ego is something fragile.
Starved, even. Whether good or bad,
or normal, someone has thought of me.
I am someone. I exist as an icon or
a contact on someone’s phone. I am
more than simply floating about
in the universe. So much more than
simply some drifter.
I am remembered. Time stamped. Coded.
Someone has thought of me.